Home icon

The NW blog

Axis M3004-V IP camera Axis M3004-V HD 720p
32GB storage card included
Buy now for just £197 / €230

HOWTO: Set up your Axis 207W network camera to work on your wireless network

February 27th, 2007 by Greg

One of the many benefits of the Axis 207W is its ability to work in a wireless network, giving its owner the freedom of placing the camera in a number of discreet locations with no nasty cables to trip over.

If you have found yourself struggling to set up your camera wirelessly, then let our guide be your path to wireless success.

This guide will be suitable for the following Axis Network cameras (and is helpful for many other manufacturers and models):

• Axis 207W
  • Axis 207MW

Initial Configuration

We are going to assume that you have already configured your camera and that you can access it locally on your network using a wired connection.

Wireless Differences

There are only a couple of extra settings you need to be aware of when making the jump from a wired installation to wireless one. These would be:

SSID: Short for Sevice Set IDentifier, the SSID is a unique name which identifies your wireless network (WLAN) from another. Devices which attach to your wireless network must use the SSID otherwise they won’t be able to communicate over the network at all. Important note: SSIDs are case sensitive.

Encryption: Most commonly used is WEP, short for Wireless Equivalency Protocol, this is used to secure your WLAN by encrypting the data over radio waves while it’s being sent from one device to another. In order to achieve successful communication, a password, known as the ‘Key’, has to set up in the wireless router and the Axis 207W network camera. Note that this feature is not enabled as standard in your wireless router but it should be one of the first things you do to keep your network secure, otherwise you may find everyone in your street using your internet connection and your home network may no longer be secure (we will discuss this in another article).

MAC Address Filtering: One final thing to note is that on some WLANs there may be additional security in place which restricts which network devices can connect to the WLAN. This is achieved by restricting devices based on their MAC Address. This feature is not enabled as standard on any routers so you only need to worry about this if you know you have set this up previously. However, if you can use this extra layer of security, we advise you to do so.
Example

Let’s look at an example configuration to see how it’s done. We’ll base our settings on the following:

• We have a Netgear 834PN Wireless Router and Axis 207W network camera.
  • The SSID of our wireless network is ‘NETGEAR’.
  • We have set up WEP encryption, our Key is set to open authentication, 64bit strength with KEY1:AF67B9283C.

All of this information can be gathered from the relevant wireless settings in your router.

Step 1 – Configuring your wireless IP address

The Axis 207W/MW has two entries for its IP address configuration. One for wired configuration and one for wireless.

You will need to configure an IP address for wireless connectivity, otherwise your camera will not be detected on the network and will not work wirelessly.

It’s safe to use exactly the same details as your wired configuration.

Step 2 – Enter your wireless settings

Log in to your camera and enter the ‘Setup’ pages.

From the menu on the left Choose ‘Wireless’.

As shown in the diagram below, the top of the page will show all the wireless networks within range, the SSID will be blank and there will be no security set.

wireless page axis 207W

Using your own wireless network details you need to enter the correct SSID in the box provided and match the security settings in your router.

In this example our SSID is ‘NETGEAR’ with our security setting being WEP with open authentication, 64bit strength and on KEY1: AF67B9283C.

We enter this information into the page as shown below:

wireless configuration page axis 207W

Click the ‘Save’ button to save your wireless settings and your camera should now be configured to work on your wireless network, so restart the camera, unplug the ethernet cable and be free from wires.

Some Troubleshooting

If you find you have entered all the correct information as above and your camera will still not work wirelessly then here’s a few suggestions.

• Check case sensitivity. The SSID is case sensitive so if you type ‘netgear’ instead of ‘NETGEAR’ your camera will not work wirelessly.
  • Check you have entered the correct security information. If your router says “Open Key”, “128bit Encryption” and shows a suitable WEP Key ensure that all this information is exactly the same in the camera.
  • If your connection seems intermittent or you are receiving a poor connection you may be experiencing interference. To combat this you can change the channel in your wireless router which will alter the frequency of your wireless network and may improve reception.
  • Try power-cycling the camera

If you have any comments or questions about this guide please leave them below and we will do our best to answer them as soon as possible.

30 Responses to “HOWTO: Set up your Axis 207W network camera to work on your wireless network”

1. John Heating says:

Thank you for a very clear set of instructions with screenshots also. I don’t have a webcam yet so this visit is part of my research.

Will keep an eye open for your brand

2. Mei says:

Thanks! Was able to set up my 207w wireless using your instructions. This is much better than what is given in the installation booklet.

3. Franz says:

Hmm, nice guide.
    But have trouble with my 207w cams which are loosing wireless net a few times a day, the they take from 10 minutes up to 1,5 hours to come back or even stay offline longer.
    Until now only a reset on the Linksys router or channelchange brings them back allmost immediately…

4. Greg says:

Hi Franz,

This doesn’t sound like there’s a problem with your cameras but rather a problem with your wireless network. Ensure your router is set up correctly and on the latest firmware. Also you may be suffering from interference from neighbouring routers and other devices. You can attempt to change the channel number to avoid this interference until you find one that is most stable.

5. lookz says:

hello, i have the 207w for my business. i got the wireless and everything to work perfectly, but what i have trouble with is having the camera’s ip address work outside my network. don’t know what steps to take next. Can you please help me so I can view my camera from outside my network?

6. Greg says:

Hi,

It sounds like your router is blocking traffic when someone tried to connect to your network outside from the internet. What you have to do is set up what they call ‘port forwarding’ rules in your router. This is a 5 step process.

1. Enter the setup menu of your camera and make sure you are using a static IP address (this is when you specify ‘use the following IP address’ in the TCP/IP pages.

2. Next enter the advanced TCP/IP settings (link can be found at the bottom of the TCP/IP page) and change the port number of your camera from 80 to 4440. Having a custom port number makes it simpler to set up the port forwarding rules as your router may share the same port.

3. Next you will have to enter the setup pages of your router and add the relevant port-forwarding rule. Without knowing which router type you have I can’t help with this stage but you can find instructions for pretty much every router on the Port Forward website.

4. Then you need to find out what your ‘public’ IP address is. This is the address given to you by your ISP and is the one you would use from the internet to access your network. To find out what your public IP address is simply visit the following site from your home network: MyCamIP.

5. You should then be able to use your public IP address in any browser on the internet, remembering to specify the unique port number, to access your camera remotely. An example address would look something like “http://[Public IP address]:4440″

You might find that your public IP address does not work if you try it from your local network.  This is normal as most routers will not allow you to dial out to the internet to come back into the same location.  If you find it’s not working it’s best to try it from another location before troubleshooting further.

Also, remember that most domestic broadband services provide you with a dynamic public IP address so you may find your public IP will change periodically. To counter that you can set up dynamic DNS to keep track of the changes and also give you a host name which is easier to remember. See axiscam.net for more information about how you can achieve this in your axis camera.

I know this is quite a lot to take in but I hope it sets you up in the right direction. If you need any further help please visit our forums where we would be happy to help you with any technical queries you may have.

7. Gaby says:

Hmmm…
    Any known problems with Apple’s AirPort extreme ? Seems that i’ve already tryed all possible configurations (DHCP, Static etc. )
    I’m using WPA security on my network but i tryed with no security at all so its probably not the security.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Gaby

8. Greg says:

Hi Gaby,

I have not heard of any known issue with Apple Airport. Just ensure that your WPA Key is the same as the router expects and remember that your SSID is case sensitive.

Use a crossover cable to plug the camera directly into a MAC for configuration. Default IP address of the camera is 192.168.0.90. And remember to give your MAC an appropriate address in the same subnet to communicate with the camera. Something like 192.168.0.10 would be fine.

9. Gaby says:

Hi Greg,
    Thank you very much for your reply. I’m trying for over a week now to configure my Axis 207W by pluggin’ it to my Airport’s ethernet port, not directly to my Mac. Could it be the problem ???

Will give it a chance as soon as i get home later.
    Thanks again.
    Gaby.

10. Greg says:

Hi Gaby. Sorry I never got back to you sooner.

I’m not 100% knowledgeable about Airport or MACs but I think you should try this:

1. If you are plugging into Airport directly use a standard ethernet cable (what they call a straight-through cable). A cross-over cable would only be used for plugging a camera directly into the computer.

2. When your camera is plugged directly into Airport you have to ensure your MAC is on the correct subnet. The default IP for an Axis 207W is 192.168.0.90 to go into ‘System Prefs – Networking’ and set your MAC to be in the same range as that. Something like, IP address: 192.168.0.10 Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: this would be the address of your router.

3. Then you should just call up your camera in a browser by typing in the address http://192.168.0.90 and you will be able to configure it from there.

If you have any problems let me know.

11. Stefan says:

is there the possibility to access the camera from ANY computer via the web (using a password, of course..?)

thanks Stefan

12. Greg says:

Hi Stefan,

Of course! That’s one of the many benefits of IP cameras/Network cameras. They are stand-alone network devices which contain a built-in web server and have their own IP address details on the network.

This means that when you plug the camera into a broadband enabled router you can access the camera from any computer across the internet. You don’t even need to have a PC where the camera is located as all the required software is contained on the camera itself!

13. KB says:

It will work from a windows machine, a Mac, a Linux box, or even Solaris in all browsers. The only limitation is that certain browser/OS combinations may not achieve a live stream, but will certainly see a live image.

14. blee says:

just wondering if someone can help me on my ip camera set up. i am using a linksys wireless router. i can view my camera locally but cant view remotely. i clled linksys tech support but they can fix it as they want to know what is the assigned port to camera. I really dont know how to get it and how to set it up. At the moment i i can access camera locally using 8080 port. Any idea please. Thanks

15. Greg says:

Hi Blee,

This is fairly straight forward. You need to set up port-forwarding rules on your router to enable external access. You can find instructions for your Linksys model at PortForward.com.

To access your camera from the internet you will need to know your ‘public’ IP address. From the local network where the camera is connected visit the website MyCamIP to find your public IP. Note though that this may be dynamic and change frequently.

Also see my previous comment, July 5th for more information.

If you have any technical queries you can always ask us at our IP camera forum.

16. Sean says:

I have tried switching to standalone cams from USB computer attached cams and get intermittent black screens. I have tweaked settings and changed cams, and still have the same problem. Do you think this is a wireless signal issue or something else? The webcam at the Daycare is attached to a laptop, the Lodge is an Axis 207W. You’ll see the Lodge does the black screens intermittently.

17. Ro says:

Is there a way to log an Axis 207w on to a public wifi hotspot? It would need to supply a login/password to connect. Once connected, it would ftp images to a server. I can’t seem to find a way to provide the means to do this within the cam.
    Thanks for any assistance or ideas you may provide.

18. Greg says:

Yes you could do this. You could quite easily use the wi-fi hotspot and access the camera locally using a computer attached to the same wi-fi network and then set up and outgoing FTP connection on the camera. All you would need to do is configure the camera with the networks SSID (assuming because it’s public there is no encryption).

Remember though that because you would essentially have no control over the network there’s also no gaurantee FTP would work and you wouldn’t be able to set up remote access without setting up firewall rules in the router.

19. Robert says:

Hi,

I have an Axis 207W camera. I have successfully connected it to my Imac thru an ethernet. I have configured the settings correctly and it has only worked wirelessly when I configure my Airport Extreme to have no protection. The minute I start adding a WPA / Wpa2 Personal password protection on my Airport Extreme Base station and then the same on my Camera the wireless does not work. I have been working on this for several days and am completely lost as why the camera only works wirelessly when no password protection is present.

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

20. Greg says:

Hi Robert.

There shouldn’t be a problem with the WPA encryption as far as I know. It will probably just be a setting out of place. Double-check that the SSID and all details of your encryption are correct.

21. Don says:

Hi,
    my new 207mw is not working propely – i tried to connect it wired, and not wireless, and even then, i get not clear image with many colors and stripes. also, every few minutes it replace sudden the ip.
    is there a problem with the camera?
    thanks

22. Greg says:

It sounds like there could be a problem with the camera. I would go back to the people you bought it from who should be able to help you further.

23. lukey says:

at Robert:

Mate, I am not at all technically minded but I’ve heard that other cameras will only work with WEP as opposed to WPA encryption.

24. Greg says:

The Axis 207 model of camera will support WEP (64/128bit), WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK methods of encryption

25. Peter says:

Hello Greg I also have a airport extreme and I can not see my camera locally or outside on wifi if i’m connected via ethernet I can see it. I’m not new to setting these cameras up as I have done them before on a bunch of netgear routers but this airport extreme has got me baffled

26. Greg says:

@Peter:

Sounds like a simple case of wireless settings. Check your SSID (case sensitive!) and the encryption method/key.

Also, check if you filter your devices by MAC address. i.e. you only allow certain devices to connect to your wireless network. If you do you have to add the MAC address of your camera to the list of allowed addresses. This is not a default setting though.

27. Kristoffer says:

My issue is with a 207mw that worked great for 6 months and now can’t detect my wireless network. I have tried resetting everything and all works fine when wired. Problem is when I attempt to add the wireless settings it can’t find my SSID. When I enter the SSID, save and disconnect the cable and refresh Safari, Bonjour can no longer see the device. HELP! Please.

28. Greg says:

Have you changed your SSID at all? Some cameras don’t like SSIDs which have special characters or spaces.

Also check the WLAN on the back of the camera. The colour of this light will indicate what the problem is. Consult the manual for the meanings of the different colours.

29. Kristoffer says:

Yes I had the correct SSID…as it turns out my Time Capsule had wireless N enabled and that was the problem. By disabling the N on the TC the camera immediately picked up my network.

30. Sam Blurton says:

Nope, not a sausage, works perfectly wired, used all the correct settings I think, 100% strength from router, but times out.
    Router can see camera as it is listed in the client list, but stumped by this.
    I know the thing works wireless I have seen it on another network just can’t get it to go on mine.
    Darn…….