How to set up IP cameras for remote access

Remote access is often a key factor when choosing a security camera. The ability to monitor a location remotely is a huge benefit for most and is often the main reason for selecting an IP camera.

However, the act of setting up remote access can often be very confusing for non-technical users and can lead to difficulty. The process is actually very simple but does require some explanation.

Remote Access Steps:

1. Basic Camera Networking
  2. Gather the right information
  3. Set a static IP address
  4. Setup Port Forwarding
  5. Testing
  6. Dynamic IP Addresses
  7. Safety concerns – This is all safe… right?
  8. Troubleshooting

1: Basic Camera Networking

Firstly we need to cover the basic setup of an IP camera.

Diagram of two cameras and a computer connecting to a router, which connects to the internet
Most people will connect their IP camera to a standard Ethernet router alongside other computers and network devices. All devices will then gain access to the internet through the router. There are no restrictions on outgoing data unless you set them within your router.

However the same is not true in the opposite direction. Routers contain a firewall which prevents anyone using the internet from accessing your local network. This keeps your computer and local devices safe from attack by hackers but also means that you can’t connect to your camera.

Port forwarding (sometimes called port mapping or virtual servers) is the method which tells your router that you want to allow access from the internet to a device on your network without allowing access to other devices.

2. Gather the right information

In order to set up port forwarding you will need to gather some network information, namely the IP address of your camera, internal IP address of your router, external IP address of your router and the port number to be used. Use the following techniques.

Internal IP address of your router and subnet mask

To access this information in Windows XP, go to the Start menu and click on “Run”. In the box that opens, enter “cmd” and click “OK”. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, click the Windows icon and in the search box enter “cmd” and press enter.

The Windows command window should now appear. Type in “ipconfig” and press enter. The computer will then churn out your network information for your computer. If you are using a wireless connection between your computer and router look for “Ethernet adaptor local Wireless connection”; if you are connected by a wire then look for “Ethernet adaptor local area connection”.

Once you have the right area, look for the default gateway. It should be something similar to 192.168.0.1. If you find more than one and cannot decide which one is correct, try entering the IP address into a web browser. Whichever is the correct IP address should bring up your routers web page.

In the command window you will also see the subnet mask. Make note of this as you will need it later.

Screenshot of command prompt window

Camera port number

This is specified from within the camera’s web interface in the settings page. By default the port number should be set to 80. If you are using more than one then you need to change this but otherwise I would leave it alone. If you do want to change the port number it is best to choose a number over 8000.
For more information on ports visit our article: what is a network port and why do I need one?

External IP address of your router

To get the current external IP address of your router, go to www.mycamip.com. Watch out though as this may change. See dynamic DNS below for details.

3. Set a static IP address

If you do not know what your camera’s IP address is you can usually find out by using the manufacturers search software. However, by default most IP cameras use DHCP to locate themselves on your network. This provides quick setup but also means that the IP address of the camera can change at any point. Once your port forwarding rule is set up, any changes in the IP address will break the rule and you will not be able to access remotely.

To prevent this, you need to set a static IP address in your camera. To do this, log into your camera and go into the network settings page. There should be an option there that says something similar to “Obtain an IP address automatically”. Un-tick this and enter a suitable IP address.

If you don’t know which IP address to use we would advise using the one that the camera is currently on. To check this, have a look at the address bar at the top of your page when logged into your camera. The address should be something similar to 192.168.0.253.

In addition to your IP address you need to specify a subnet mask and default gateway. You gathered this information earlier so enter it as required.

You may also be asked to enter a primary and secondary DNS server. Unless you have been told differently by your ISP, enter the IP address of your default gateway address into the primary DNS server box. You can leave the second server blank.

Once you have all the information entered, save the changes and restart the camera. Test the IP address by typing it into a web browser once the camera has fully powered up.

4: Setting up port forwarding

Obviously we can’t go through configuration on all routers, the keyboard wouldn’t take it. However, there is a common way to set up port forwarding on all routers.

Think of the port forwarding table on your router as a phone book. When you want to know which number to call you scan through the names until you find one that matches and dial that number. In this case the router scans through the port numbers until it finds one that matches and then sends the information onto that address.

When entering a port forwarding rule you are often asked to enter the start and end ports. With the camera being on a single port just make them identical. The same goes for external ports if you are asked for them. Some will also ask you what type of traffic you want to allow, either TCP or UDP. You should allow TCP.

Be aware that sometimes you have to set up a rule in two steps. In these instances you have to create a service first which just adds a name for your ports before you specify IP address. For an example of this take a look at our port forwarding a DG834 router guide.

Additionally you can have a look at Portforward.com.This website offers visual walkthroughs of most common routers. Just select your model and select the default guide for a basic walkthrough of how it is done.

5: Testing

Once the rule is created you need to test it. To access your camera remotely type https://external_ip_address:port into a web browser. Note that if you are using port 80 you can leave out the “:port” and still access your camera.

The best way to check that port forwarding is set up correctly is to try from a friend or relative’s computer. Alternatively you can check using a GPRS internet connection or cell phone but be aware that these can sometimes provide inaccurate results.

6: Dynamic IP addresses

We get the same question a lot here at Network Webcams Tech HQ; do I need a static IP address on my internet connection? The answer in most occasions is no. Most cameras come with a dynamic DNS client which allows you to set up a unique name which will always point to your current IP address.

7: Safety concerns – This is all safe… right?

Allowing access through my firewall? That doesn’t sound safe! Well, although you are allowing access through your firewall, you are doing so in a very controlled manner. Anyone accessing from the internet will only have access to the devices you have set up on the port forwarding screen and even then will only be able to access on certain ports. For example, if you only allow access on port 80 you can’t access the same device on port 21.

However, because you have opened your camera up to the internet you do need to make sure that a secure password is used. Don’t leave the default password on your camera as it really isn’t that difficult to work out which camera is being used and try the default password.

8: Troubleshooting

No matter how many times you have set up port forwarding sometimes things do go awry. Double check the settings you have entered and if necessary restart the router. If you still have problems take a look at the following areas.

Default Gateway

The default gateway is essentially the place where your camera will look to access the internet. If this setting in your camera is missing or incorrect, the camera doesn’t know where to send internet information to. In 99% of all network configurations the default gateway is the internal IP address of your router. To confirm this address, check the network settings by using the cmd window as shown above.

Hopping Port Forwarding

I have seen a number of occasions where people have been using more than one router on the same connection. It’s always a bad idea using more than one router per internet connection unless you are a very advanced user. Keep things simple and it’ll be a lot easier to port forward.
If you must use more than one router then you need to set up port forwarding on each device to pass information from one router to the next. This is very tricky and should only be used as a last resort.

Satellite links / ISP blocking

There are ISPs out there that block remote access on certain ports. It’s very common on GPRS and satellite links and will often prevent access from the internet completely. If you have a lot of trouble accessing it’s a good idea to give the ISP a call to confirm with them what you are doing is possible. Sometimes a change of port number to something other than 80 can sort things out.

NAT Loopback

A very common fault is encountered when people try to use the external IP address of the router to access their camera while accessing through the same router. This is often not possible due to NAT loopback.

NAT loopback happens when you try to access a local device using the external IP address or domain name. Some routers allow you to do this and some don’t. Check the user manual for your router as it should give you some indication. If Loopback isn’t supported then it will appear as if the system isn’t working.

The best way to check that the port forwarding is working correctly is to view from an external network such as one belonging to a friend or relative, or to use a GPRS connection or mobile phone web browser.

You should now have the information to configure and troubleshoot any port forwarding scenario. If you have any comments please leave them below.

Published on February 16th, 2010 by James Drinkwater

57 Responses to “How to set up IP cameras for remote access”

1. ivan says:

thank you so much for this guide. the router manual was useless. this entire site has been a life saver after hours of messing with my camera on two different routers. thanks!

2. amjad says:

thanku very much 4 this usefull information

3. Doug Eisenmann says:

How about passwords?

4. Guilherme Frejat says:

Thank you for the precise information. Congratulations!
    All the best, from Brasil.
    Guilherme

5. behzad says:

6. Gary Mac says:

James,
    What a great bit of concise info!
    You should write users manuals.
    Worked first time
    Cheers and thanks
    Gary

7. Peter says:

Excellent very informative thanks

8. Alberto Studivant says:

Thanks a lot for the post

9. Ashok says:

What a great bit of concise info!
    You should write users manuals.
    Worked first time
    Used your instructions to set up port forwarding on Sagecom router with Sky broadband
    Cheers and thanks a lot

10. Jaco says:

Thx a mil,short and sweet.All the info covered.

11. Greg says:

Is there a way to open the port only for certain specific devices to be able to view the camera? Like based on MAC Addresses where any one trying to access the camera from a different MAC address would not be able to connect.

12. James Drinkwater says:

@Greg:
    This would depend on your router. You couldn't do it by MAC, but most routers have some form of IP address filtering, which would only allow access from a set IP address or range (I know that Netgear routers support this).

13. Maury says:

Hi there,
    I am a bit stuck at the moment as i have a aquarium computer that is using port 80
    so i dont know what to do next?
    i followed your HOWTO: Port forwarding a DG834 router and had set the port to 4440 in the router and added a new rule but once i changed the port in the ip cam to 4440 i couldnt access it even through browser on the network.
    i used the software that came with the cam and changed it back to port 80 and deleted the rule in the router and can access it again on the network through the browser.
    so any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Maury

14. James Drinkwater says:

@Maury,
    Once you change the port number on your camera, you'll need to use the full address and port number to access the camera, for example http://192.168.0.90:4440. you should be able to find it then.

15. Chris says:

I can't get this to work with my ip cam on wireless, only when I have it a wired connection. It works fine within my own network on either. Any ideas?

16. James Drinkwater says:

@Chris
    It sounds like the Default gateway settings to me. Do both wireless and wired cameras share the same IP settings?

17. kirstin hatherley says:

I have set everything up as shown, I am trying to access remotely from an i phone through an app called eagle eyes. I just keep getting an error message 'the IP address is not accessible'. My external address has changed too, any suggestions?

18. Mr Brooks says:

@ kirstin
    I believe that an app may not work correctly when your not connected to your local network. When you're on 3g or 4g networks you may need to use a browser and punch in the full configured ip address. The address may have changed if you rebooted your router or lost power to the router also. My gf has an ipad and was unable to get an ip cam viewer app to work on 3g but was able to bring up the interface at least by using a browser. There is supposedly an iphone app called "ucampro" that supposedly works well with most ip cameras, as for working on a 3 or 4g network I guess you'd have to research it a little but good luck regardless..

19. Patricia says:

I need help James!! I have a wansview ip cam and I use talk talk as ISP with a router that they provide dlink.
    Now, I think I have done most of the steps u have taught but I can only view images when I'm at home using wifi on my phone. When I switch off wifi and use 3G I can't view nothing!
    I have enabled upnp on both my router and cam. I have done port forwarding on my router to the port I have assigned for the ip cam.
    What I did was :
    Go to set up page of my ip cam and checked default gateway is correct, dns correct and I put in Ip address for the camera and a port number. Then when its all set I go to the router setting and port forward the address I set up for the ip cam. Then I can view it on my laptop and phone while I'm on the same wifi. But when I switch my phone to 3G it doesn't work! Wat should I do?
    I'm not good with computer so can u teach me step by step? Plssssssssss! I need it to view what is my nanny doing with my 4 months old baby while I'm at work! Thankssss!!!

20. James Drinkwater says:

@Patricia
    It's difficult to say what the issue is. You'll need to do some investigation.
    * If your default gateway is correct, it sounds like the port forwarding is not set correctly. I'd double check the settings and try again. Use the following page as a reference (I think it's the DLink 2640 that TalkTalk use, but they tend to put their own firmware on it which makes this guide redundant): http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DSL-2640R/defaultguide.htm
    * You may like to try a different port number. It could be that TalkTalk block port 80, in which case try a different number, such as 8080. This means to access it will be http://IPADDRESS:8080. You'll need to change the port number in the camera (not sure where that is on a Wansview) and adjust the port forwarding rules.

21. Ossie says:

I am new to this. The problem I have is the Ip address changes therefore, my external Ip address is unable to connect. How do I stop Ip address to change?

22. Les Poore says:

Turned out I had the port-forwarding done a couple weeks ago, but still with no success asking family members to try connecting to my IPcam. I'd give them the http://..(ext.IP) : (port #), and also my domain name at DynDNS.org. I finally decided to take on the modem configs, going on an earlier suggestion by an IPcam forum member. This was the ONLY time the modem was mentioned, in a half-dozen forum postings, and dozens of pages printed from those forums and IPcam guides referred to.
    ***ONLY THEN, did I at least have success with one of the methods for remote connections to my camera. That would be the "external IP" + port no. I had delayed this partial success out of doubt, I guess, since nowhere else did I get this information. I also see no mention of the modem in the guide here.
    What I did was go into the modem's "Firewall" section, then into "DMZ". I placed my Belkin router's WAN- IP in the modem's DMZ, thereby allowing the internet requests to my camera's port # to be passed thru, then "port-forwarded" by the router. Words perfectly !
    However, I cant get the domain name request to work. It all looks good, and seems accepted by the router as correct. My router is keeping DynDNS.org updated with my External IP daily. >> I think the problem is again with the modem!! << I believe there's one simple step (or 2) that I still need to do so the modem wont interfere with the requests from my domain name. Sure would like to get this done, so I dont have to keep updating family with the External IP "du jour". (ha)

23. James Drinkwater says:

@Ossie
    There's no way to prevent this unless you speak to your ISP and get them to provide you with a fixed IP address. There is usually a fee involved.
    You can get around it by setting up a dynamic DNS address. You can set this up on a router, computer or camera to keep track of changes to your IP address.
    @Les
    It's rare that modems have a firewall built in. In most cases the modem just connects two networks and does nothing else. Your case is similar to the "hopping port forwarding" section above.
    It's difficult to track down what the problem is with DynDNS configurations. Check the log in your router. I suspect a credentials issue.

24. Sylvain says:

Hi everybody,
    I encounter the same problem than Chris, my IPCam works perfectly on a wired LAN, it can join the SSID I entered, but can't get an IP address.
    When I disconnect the RJ45 cable, the static IP address is not used by the wireless interface.
    In the wifi configuration, we can only configure SSID and encryption, but nothing about the IP information.
    Can anyone help me on this issue please ?

25. Mish says:

Thank you also for this informative blog. I've lost a few patches of hair trying to get my IP cam going, and this is one of the few sites that is actually logical, concise and comprehensible.
    I've followed all your steps, typed in my unique "http://external_ip_address:port&quot; on the browser and was able to see my cam remotely from an off-site PC. Yay.
    However, when I did the same to the brower on my android phone, I got nowhere. Either it times out after trying for a prolonged period or I get to the camera page but see the words "undefined" in all the tabs. Do you, by any chance, have any idea what this is about?

26. James Drinkwater says:

@Mish
    The fact that you can see anything must mean the port forwarding is set up correctly. It must be a browser issue on the phone. Is your camera designed for Internet Explorer only? I would also try a different browser such as Opera (downloadable from Google Play).

27. James Drinkwater says:

@Wildbill,
    There's a part of me that wants to point my finger squarely at the satellite connection. We've used satellite connection before and they often employ a system where users can browse out but not connect in. I know they said that it's not their issue, but I'd keep them in the back of your mind.
    There's a couple of other things to try. If you have more than one router connected on your network, have a look at the Hopping port forwarding section above.
    Make sure you're using the correct default gateway. It should be the IP address of the router to which your camera is connected.
    Double check your DynDNS address against http://www.mycamip.com. Open up a command window (Start button -> search box -> type cmd and hit enter) and type "ping " followed by your DNS address. It should give you the address's current IP. Match it to the output from mycamip.com. The two should match. If not, there's somethign wrong with the address.

28. Wildbill says:

hi jim very nice guide I hope you can help me I am using a tenvis cam I got everything working via local wireless it can be viewed on 3 PCs fine I use dyndns.org and have port forwarded port 8002 when I look in the cam software in the ddns section it shows sucess to dyndns.org I have tried it from different locations but can never remotely connect I have checked my setting over and over it's a WNDR3400v2 netgear not sure if it the router or not oh and it is connected via hughesnet satillite for internet service I called them and they said they don't block any ports and thet port should work i even test the wan ip and port it shows port 8002 is open and reachable I am just lost I have set a load of these buggers up without a hitch but I guess there always has to be one rotten bugger,,lol hope ya can help got enough gray hair

29. Tin says:

Hi,
    Could you help me set up this.. 5 sets of IP camera distributed in different area(municipality) within the city1.
    Each of the 5 cameras are connected to each router/modem. They are from different ISP providers.
    And this 5 camera want to be viewed and monitored in different city location, city2 and city 3.
    How will i do this, do i need video management software? how could i view this? via what medium?
    Thanks,
    Tin

30. James Drinkwater says:

@Tin,
    Once they're port forwarded through each router, you'll be able to access them using each router's IP or dynamic DNS address. At each of the monitoring locations you just need to enter these in a web browser.
    If you want all of them visible on the same screen, it'd be best to have some VMS software as you mentioned. It depends on the cameras you're looking to use, but we recommend Milestone. Because the cameras are IP-based, the software should work exactly the same as it would locally, but the frame rates will be drastically lower. Internet connections cause severe bottlenecks on IP video.

31. jojo says:

hello!
    I'm new of this site. I've got an IP camera F980A and I couldn't access remotly it on the internet.
    My router is globe surfer 3, I've already created some domaine names, and have also forward the port as you said but unfortunately it doesn't work up to now. I'm tired and disappointed.
    Please help me to remote it
    jojo

32. Egemur says:

That's realy realy and realy so helpful for me.. You explain so basic..
    Thank's so much…

33. Strahil says:

I have four cameras are connected and working, but the problem is that when I watch them from the phone to 3G Internet ,everything is ok ,but when I connect to a router different from mine, can not be recharged.
    Any ideas what could be the problem? I tried all kinds of variants, but now without success. Could the problem be that the Internet has a static IP where are the cameras and the router ,and I'm trying to connect to PPPoE from elsewhere?

34. James Drinkwater says:

@Strahil
    See the "NAT Loopback" section above. You'll need to use local addressing when on the same router.

35. OHsubeGuy says:

I've been working for a couple of weeks to get 2 Airsight xx39A cameras remotely viewable from the internet. I've read your how-to guide as a check to what I have done at my home. I've done just what you indicated. My cameras are accessible on my LAN (wireless & cabled) but not the WAN. Cameras have static IPs. I've double and triple checked the Gateway IP. Ports on the cameras were changed and corresponding port forward rules setup for the camera IPs; TCP, enabled. I have a DDNS set up on No-IP.com. My brother-in-law cannot access the either camera using the DDNS. I finally broke down and gave him my external IP (as reported by MyCamIP). On Internet Explorer, he typed in :port# and it failed.
    So, now I am at a total loss. Any suggestions, ideas? This should not be that difficult. I did notice when logged on to my router, section Internet, there was an internet address given as 192.168.102.xxx and a Gateway different than the LAN Gateway. That confuses me. Could you explain that?
    My router is a Linksys E2000 by the way.
    Thanks!

36. James Drinkwater says:

@OHsubeGuy:
    It sounds to me like you have multiple networks connected together (see the hopping port forwarding section above). If you only have one router on site then you would need to speak to your internet provider as they may have a non-standard setup which may be blocking incoming connections. If you have more than one router, set up port forwarding on each device (forward from router 1 -> router 2 then from router 2 -> camera).

37. Jp says:

Hello James:
    Great information, thanks very much for posting.
    I have three Panasonic BL-C121 IP cameras connected wirelessly to my home network via a Netgear WNR3500 router. While on my home network I have no problems viewing live images via website (ViewNetCam) using my desktop or by using either of the Android apps that I have on my Samsung tablet (TinyCam Monitor Pro and IP Cam Viewer Pro). I can view live imagery for indefinite periods of time.
    However when I go off my home network and connect using either of the two apps, I am able to connect to the cameras and can get anywhere from five to twenty seconds of live imagery before the feeds "freeze". When this happens, if I close the app and then open it, sometimes I reconnect with live feeds for a short time before freezing up again, and sometimes I cannot connect with the cameras at all.
    I'm assuming that since I can view live imagery for at least a brief time that I have things set up correctly. Any thoughts as to why the images are freezing up after a short time? Thank you.

38. Belgium says:

Hello,
    I have two ip cams at home and portforwarding was fine until now or..is it he phone
    Here is he story: Last year i had a HTC Wildfire with Tinycam pro on it, this year a have a other android phone with also tinycam pro and it can view my cams with wireless at home but with this phone when i am outside my home and look at my ip cams with the 3g from the phone i get (Video failed) forbidden (403)
    What is this?

39. Mike says:

Hi, great article and very informative. My setup maybe alittle different to most. I have 4 wireless Mars Cameras connected via a USB receiver to a windows 7 pc. I had bigpond open up a port for me as stated in the camera manual (7788) on the camera screen it displays the ip address :7788 when trying to access that on my iPhone which is assigned to the open port it fails. The computers IP address is different again to what comes up in IPCONFIG, I'm at a total loss. I've tried all IP addresses:7788 I have even tried using my iPhone browser in 3G mode but that doesn't uncover anything except bogus web results. I tried finding network settings but cannot get into anything to create a static IP address. Would you have any ideas as I've tried going to Mars' web page but it's limited to pretty much the manual which is just the basic stuff, open a port (7788) log into default gateway:7788 and wahla but it's not the case. Any help is greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long MSG. Mike

40. James Drinkwater says:

@JP
    Yes, If you can access anything at all then port forwarding should be set up correctly. It sounds maybe like a speed/bandwidth problem. If you're accessing using a 3/4G wireless network then this may account for it. test the connection on a land-based internet connection to confirm the problem. If it's choppy on the land line connection I would run a speed test at both ends to see if there's a possible speed problem.

41. James Drinkwater says:

@ Belgium
    A 403 error indicates a username and password error. Either you're using the wrong username and password to access the camera or the port forwarding is taking you to the wrong device (which is then rejecting the username and password for your camera).

42. Jp says:

James:
    I've been doing my "off-home-network" checking with a land-based internet connection at my local library. As you suggested, I did a speed check several times on both ends with these average results:
    At home:
    Upload: 1.95 Mbps
    At library
    Download: 20.50 Mbps
    Clearly, if speed is the problem then the issue is on my home end of things. Does it make any difference that the three IP cameras that I have connected are set up with ports that are close to each other, i.e. 50000, 50001 and 50002?

43. James Drinkwater says:

@JP
    No, being close to each other shouldn't be a problem. If there's any form of intermittent connection, I tend to look at objects that will connect again on their own. If the cameras are connected to your router wirelessly then I'd try cabling them for testing (although this would be reflected when connecting locally). I'd also check the logs in your router to see if there are any dropouts.
    Also, have you allowed the camera to set its own port forwarding (uPnP) or are you manually setting up the port forwarding? I've seen instances in the past where uPnP can cause instability in the port forwarding.
    Short of that, it may be worth borrowing another router if you can. It might be an internal problem on the router and substituting it would immediately show this up.

44. Jp says:

James: The cameras were allowed to set up their own port forwarding. I haven't yet worked up enough nerve to try to manually set up forwarding. However, through extensive trial and error, not to mention drives to the library, which is my closest off-home-network WiFi site, I came up with this discovery:
    The problem only occurs when I attempt to view multiple camera images at the same time. If I only view one of the three cameras at a time, I can successfully view the feed indefinitely. And that holds true with both of the camera-viewing apps that I have on my tablet which allow for multiple camera viewing. A third app, one which is specifically for viewing Panasonic cameras (but created by a third party) only allows viewing of one camera feed at a time. I have written to the app designer to inquire if this was done on purpose, due to some anomaly with Panasonic cameras that only allow the viewer to see one feed at a time (when not using their ViewNetCam service that is).
    And speaking of ViewNetCam: when I use any of the three browsers on my tablet (Chrome, Firefox and the "stock" browser that came with the Samsung tablet) to connect with ViewNetCam, (off of my home network) I am prompted for the log in codes for the first or "master" camera, but never prompted to enter the codes for the second and third cameras. As a result, I am able to view the first camera at the ViewNetCam site, but never the second or third. So it is possible that I may be able to view all three simultaneously via the ViewNetCam site, but I'm stuck because I can't enter the log in codes for cameras 2 and 3. Any thoughts on how to resolve that?
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my and everyone's inquiries. It is much appreciated.

45. whay says:

I have installed 2 ip cameras dlink 932L the first cam can be viewed online but the other can't be viewed. I already change the port of the second cam but with no luck. I checked if the cam is online via mydlink cloud, they're both online.

46. Paranoid says:

Hi, I'd really want to learn how to secure these external connections. There are technologies like SSH and VPN that can be used within the router but haven't found any tutorials for this. Has anybody set up a SECURE connection to ip cam? Any help would be appreciated.

47. chris f says:

thank you so much ..in my incredible ignorance i bought an IP camera only to spend days ..YES i mean days reading all the things that may be wrong and can cause a problem etc and i'm still none the wiser ..but having read your explanation in very clear Laymans speech i do have a better understanding of what i am trying to do whether i achieve a remote working camera is different matter but I am so glad I came across this webpage …let me know when they bring out a simple plug and play camera ..I have 2 cameras that I still cant get to work remotely .. and i am wasting my life trying to figure it out !!!

48. Mirko says:

Hi, I would like to connect my IP camera to the internet by using my smartphone and WMWifirouter SW installed.
    I setted up my camera (that is an IP camera with internal web server) within my home ADSL network. All is ok, the camera is connected through a netgear wifi router to internet and the port forwarding is running good.
    Now I would do the same but in a place in which there are no ADSL network. I would connect the camera through my Omnia I900 smartphone (with a flat internet surfing connection) and see the immages from my home? Is it possible or am I a dreamer?
    thanks a lot and congratulation for your informatives.

49. Mirko says:

Is it possible to connect IP camera to internet through a smartphone?
    Maybe using a software like WMwifirouter?
    In th9is way you can monitore an area in which ADSL line is not present.

50. Mirko says:

Sorry for repeted reply, I didn't see my previous one… maybe it's normal due to administration validation.

51. Gene says:

thanks for your professional support.

52. Chris Martin says:

With regards to the aforementioned post, specifically;
    "Hopping Port Forwarding
    As long as the Router/Modem, that is installed by your ISP, is bridged you will encounter no problems.
    Have your ISP bridge the installed device. If you have access to its configuration page, you can do this yourself. Again, the installed ISP Router needs to be bridged to have your routers work together.
    Doing so will force the installed ISP Router/Modem to act exactly as the second installed router is configured.

53. carl fuller says:

If keeping it simple is the key " Take one of the Ethernet output's for internet "modem/router" and connect it to the "OUTPUT" of the second router " no configuration needed …..Before you leave a incorrect comment ,or knock the post . Try it for your self …It works modem connections are 0.1 2nd router 1.1 (makes you wonder just how secure these modems and routers really are , Everything connected to the 2nd router will connect to the internet same as if it had a internet connected to the input …..LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY BUT I DID NOT SAY YOUR CRAZY , I said i didnt see how it could work and id have to try it myself …..lol Straight up it works

54. rus says:

"Don’t try to connect yourself. You may encounter an effect called NAT loopback. Some routers do not allow you to access a local device using the external IP address of your router and will act as if the rule is incorrect."
    If some of the "camera tutorials" would have just stated this I would have saved a week of frustration. I had no Idea this was a thing. This needs to be plastered all over the internet. its not like its common knowledge.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you so much for ending my frustations (yeah I know this is an old thang)

55. Ronald Ferguson says:

EXCELLENT Information on this site. a very huge help. THANKS….
    Not all the tips and tricks worked and some of the ones I thought would never work did.
    Anyway, just an invaluable site…Thanks again…RonF

56. Hadley Thompson says:

If I use port forwarding on port 80, won't that cause problems with web browsing ?

57. Wanyama says: