Home icon

The NW blog

How to set up email notification on Panasonic BB and BL cameras

February 17th, 2010 by Simon

IP cameras have the ability to send you email notification on alarm but they cannot send this by themselves. They require an email service or SMTP server to send the email.

This guide walks you through setting up email notification on a Panasonic IP camera with a GMX email account. The shots in this guide are from a Panasonic BL-C131 but should be almost the same for all BL or BB range Panasonic IP cameras.

Step 1: Setting up an account with GMX

GMX offers a free account which is ideal for sending email notifications from your camera. Click ‘Sign Up Now’ to begin the registration process.

Screenshot of creating an email account with GMX.com

To signup you need to enter you details, choose an email address, password and verify the information in the box. Click ‘I Accept. Create My Account’ and the next page should confirm you account has been successfully created.

Note: You will need to remember your email address and password to enter into your camera.

Step 2: Entering GMX account details in to your Panasonic IP camera

Log into your Panasonic camera and select ‘Setup’ from the tabs at the top and then select ‘Trigger’ from the options on the left. Select the trigger number you wish to edit and click ‘Next’ till you come to options for ‘Transfer method’ select ‘E-mail’ and click ‘Next’ which should bring up the options below.

Screenshot of entering SMTP details into a Panasonic IP camera

E-mail Transfer

• SMTP Server IP Address or Host Name: smtp.gmx.com
  • Port No: 25
  • Reply E-mail Address: your-gmx-username@gmx.com
  • Destination E-mail address: The email address where you want to receive the notification
  • Subject: Camera has detected motion (or whatever you want the email subject to read)
  • Text: Enter whatever you want the text of the email to read

How to authenticate: Select ‘SMTP authentication’

• Login ID: Enter your GMX email address in full
  • Password: Enter your GMX password

Click ‘Save’ and your camera should now be setup to send emails for the trigger you have just edited.

16 Responses to “How to set up email notification on Panasonic BB and BL cameras”

1. Rami Gelband says:

Hi
    I set a 131 cam and prgrammed it as you explaineed, but I do not receive any mails.
    How do I get an instant mail when the camera senses motion?
    How do I transfer the frmes to a (free) FTP location?
    Rami

2. Dennis says:

Hello – I appreciate this information as I have been trying to get email to work on my camera again since I had to move from Earthlink DSL to AT&T (YUK!!) AT&T email doesn't work either.
    I signed up for a GMX account and entered settings all the same on my BL-C131a camera but I am getting Div. 6 code 1 errors.
    Does the GMX email option still work?
    Thanks,
    Dennis

3. Dennis says:

I sent a query to GMX and they suggested using port 587 instead of port 25 and it worked! Hope this helps others as well.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

4. james says:

Thanks for the article.
    Also thanks Dennis for the tip of using port 587.
    In my case, I have a TrendNet camera. It does not take the name of smtp server. After using the IP address:
    74.208.5.67, Email notification works.
    Hope it helps.
    James

5. Hunter says:

Switching to port 587 replacing the 25 works great! I am receiving emails now. Thanks for the info!

6. Loch says:

I configured a BL-C101A to send Email on trigger, but it sends about 100 separate Emails, each with a still jpg attached. I was hoping it would either send them all in one email, or a video file — is there a way to do that?

7. James says:

@Loch:
    You can't create video files in the camera, there's not enough internal memory / processing. You also can't combine all the images into a single email. Most email servers have a server limit of around 8MB and 100 images would definitely go over this.
    It sounds like you maybe need to combine FTP and email. Upload your 100 files to an FTP drive and create a separate trigger in the camera to send an alert to your email account with a single image to let you know what's happening.

8. Sean says:

How do you set this up in the router? Do I need to do any port forwarding?

9. Bernie says:

Do you know how to set this up with an email address provided by inbox.com ? Are there others besides gmx? Thanks.

10. @Bernie,
    We haven't set up anything similar so far. It should work in the same way so long as they provide SMTP access and DO NOT require SSL encryption. You'll need to get the details from the provider for the SMTP server and port number.

11. Lynn says:

THANK YOU!!! I am finally able to receive the email alerts that I have needed for so long! I had just about given up when I did another search for "how to set up email notification panasonic webcam"… my sanity is now back thanks to you!
    I did have to change the SMTP port from 25 to 587 to get it to work.

12. TJ says:

Thanks for the tip about GMX! My provider recently switched to SSL which killed my email transfers. Now the pictures are rolling again!! Thank you..BTW..yes on port 587. That is working great!

13. Ferry says:

Hi all, i used to have this camera working with google but as off a month or so it just stopped.
    I tried the settings as described above but it doesnt work.
    I tried changing to 587, the ip adresses, domain everything.
    If it still works can anyone tell me with what settings? perhaps a screenshot?

14. bigt says:

I too had a perfectly good working camera then Oct 1 gmail stopped smtp emails somehow. I believe it may view our camera alerts as spam . I can telenet into the smtp address and ports no problem but I get errors galore from my camera. My router shows the traffic and isn't held back there either . Comcast or Panasonic is my issues.

15. mohare says:

Doesn't work for me either — coincidentally the same time my street upgraded to AT&T Uverse. Panasonic needs a firmware upgrade to fix this.

16. robert says:

I am confused. Along with most others, I already have an email account. Why would I set up another with that GMX thing instead of using my own? Also, you say SSL doesn't work yet there is a choice to check SSL at the bottom of the setup screen?